Trademark registration – Canada
A trademark helps to distinguish a company’s products and services from those offered by its competitors. The trademark may consist of a name, slogan, logo or combination of its elements. By granting you an exclusive right to use the trademark in Canada, the trademark prevents your competitors from using a trademark similar to yours in your field of activity, in Canada, and for a period of 10 years, renewable indefinitely. You may choose to register a word and/or a logo.
This kit includes:
- The preparation of the administrative file;
- The governmental fees;
- The registration of your trademark for 1 class*;
- The correspondence with the Registrar on the follow-up of a trademark registrability application;
- Obtaining the certificate of registration.
* A trademark is protected only in the fields (or classes) in which it has been registered. For more information on the different classes, please visit the description of the Nice classification.
It is therefore interesting to register your trademark in the class(es) related to your activity.
This kit does not include:
- The preparation of an argument in response to an examiner’s report (objection relating to registrability; confusion, descriptive character, personal name, etc.). In such a case, an additional fee of 400$ will be applicable.
Please note that you must search for the availability of the name or logo you want to register before registering your trademark. You can do so with our Name search – Canada legal kit